Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A Walk In The July Garden

Photos taken July 16.

Learning to live with weeds.


The carrot and cilantro patch. Hmmm, looks a lot like last month's photo, doesn't it? Absolutely nothing germinated. Ugh. Must not have kept the seedbed wet enough. I tried carrots last year, too, but they didn't germinate. Anyone have tips on carrot-growing?


My three surviving, and now flourishing, cucumber plants.


Tomatoes and peppers. More tomatoes in the background. Two transplanted raised beds on the left. Cory brought them over from their previous home in our cabin's yard. Soon I'll start building soil in them for next year.


More tomatoes, plus a pepper stuck in there, and a few calendulas.


Beans and nasturtium. I lost several bean plants to bunnies.


My beans in need of taller a taller trellis. Next year I plan to build bean teepees, which should bring as much joy to our little one (who will be two years old by then) as they will to me.


The nasturtium win the Prettiest Leaf contest in my garden. I love their shape and color.


In the middle of about 25 sweet corn stalks.


More losses to bunnies here in the sunflower patch. The remaining plants are thriving. When I caught one rabbit mid-munch, I dug out the old chicken wire for a crude fence around this spot. Cory then set to work building me a more structured anti-rabbit device, which is still in process and soon will protect the entire garden.


Cory's experimenting with branches for a gateway to the garden.


Zinnias about to bloom!


I had to include a shot of this lovely spot, the public boat dock, just down from our driveway.

No comments: