Friday, June 22, 2007

Garden State

Long overdue update on the garden. I got a late start but should still get a decent yield. Photos taken June 16.

I dug out the paths and added the extra dirt to the beds to raise them a bit. The straw for the paths insulated the outside of the north wall of our basement over the winter. We got the straw bales from neighbor, organic farmer, and sustainable agriculture activist Charlie Johnson.


Left: carrots and cilantro planted
Right: cucumbers


Cukes sprouting.


Tomatoes, paste tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and sweet peppers


More tomatoes and peppers, plus calendula planted on the right.


Beans and nasturtium


Experimenting with growing beans and nasturtium together.


Sweet corn. Note for next year: Organic Gardening tells me I should have planted it in a square, rather than in rows for best pollination.


Sunflowers


Sunflower up close.


Raised beds.
Front: spinach and lettuce planted too late (will replant in fall) and overgrown with weeds.
Middle: tomatoes and chives.
Back: zinnias sprouting.


The nifty bin made by Cory out of pallets stores grass clippings and leaves for composting and mulching. The bags on the left are full of leaves that spent last winter insulating the ground around the water pipes going into our cabin. They'll get used for mulch on the garden or put into the compost pile.


Compost bin where all of our veggie scraps go. I asked Cory to make this for my birthday one year. Yep, that's how much of a nerd I am. I asked for a compost bin for my birthday. And would you believe I didn't want a diamond engagement ring? Ah, but that's another post for another time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for sharing your garden... and i love hearing how everything gets used from table scraps to insulation! i think i may be heading to another apartment again. hrmph. good thing you're blogging so i can live vicariously thru you.